This section describes the DITA document types and specializations for technical content.
Prior to the release of DITA 1.2, the document types and specializations for technical content were included as an integral part of the base DITA specification. With the release of DITA 1.2, the document types and specializations for technical content have a dedicated section in the DITA specification. This change reflects the addition of an increasing number of specializations that are part of the DITA standard.
The document types and specializations included in the technical content package and described in this section were designed to meet the requirements of those authoring content for technically oriented products in which the concept, task, and reference information types provide the basis for the majority of the content. These information types are used by technical-communication and information-development organizations that provide procedures-oriented content to support the implementation and use of computer hardware, computer software, and machine-industry content. However, many other organizations producing policies and procedures, multi-component reports, and other business content also use the concept, task, and reference information types as essential to their information models.
- Concept document type and structural specialization
- Reference document type and structural specialization
- Task document type (general task with the Strict Taskbody Constraint)
- General task document type and specialization
- Machinery task document type (general task with the Machinery Taskbody Constraint)
- Glossary entry (glossentry) document type and structural specialization
- Glossary group (glossgroup) document type and structural specialization
- Bookmap document type and structural specialization
The DITA technical content package includes the following domain specializations:
- Programming elements
- Software elements
- User interface elements
- Task requirements elements
- Extensible Name and Address Language (xNAL) elements
- Abbreviated form element
- Glossary reference (glossref) element
The DITA technical content package includes the following constraint modules:
- Strict Taskbody
- Machinery Taskbody
The technical content document type shells included in the DITA technical content package use information types included in other packages, and other packages use the information types from the technical content package.
The technical content package consists of the technicalContent, machineIndustry, and xnal directories, as well as the map document type but not the base map information types.