The DITA 1.2 Learning and Training specialization addresses several key problems facing developers and consumers of instructional content.
Today's learners confront a complex world with many inter-related bits and pieces of information, many different ways to access that information, and a strong need to identify the connection points, the objectives, and the context for what to know and what to learn.
In this environment, developers of learning and training content face many challenges, including:
- How to find the context for developing and delivering the right content to the right person at the right time?
- How to identify the learning goals and objectives?
- Who and how many are the audiences?
- How to pull together and integrate content from many different sources and content providers?
- How to enable customers and partners to add, integrate, assemble, and deliver their own content?
These key challenges and issues for delivery of learning and training content mirror long-standing pain points and requirements for content delivery in general.
- Content consumers value consistency of content and learning experiences.
- They desire management of content to make it shareable across and within teams.
- They seek to simplify the information needed to support the complex environments.
- Finally, they want a content development process that can enable the assembly and delivery of custom content that addresses specific learning contexts and use cases.